Mom's wisdom

"Here's the thing about life. You've got to find those fun things to have about life. This is not necessarily fun.
But you've got to find something fun." - Mom, on June 22, 2012.

Tuesday, February 14

My funny Valentine

No one wants to spend Valentine's Day in a hospital bed - least of all Mom, who always celebrates the holiday with cards for her daughters and beautiful flowers (usually pink) from Daddy.

We still tried to make it festive with two cuddly teddy bears (one Carolina blue), a heart balloon, a heart garland to decorate the white walls, and cards dripping with sentiment and glitter. Mom had a steady stream of visitors today as well, and she received wonderful gifts from her thoughtful friends and students. We took some photos and will get those online tomorrow.

Charm school for girls

Jennifer and I were lucky enough to spend some time with our sweet nieces this evening, and we took them out to dinner at the Dixie House Cafe. ("Home of the BIG BUNS.") Who knew five delicate young ladies could pack away so much chicken fried steak and chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra, green beans and rolls as big as my face?

Of course, we celebrated our accomplishment with desserts of banana pudding, chocolate cream pie, and double fudge cake with walnuts.

The family that stays together, overeats together.




I've always been a stress eater, so I fully expect to gain a few (dozen) pounds on this trip home. There's something about a trip to Sonic for junk food that makes me feel better. They should have named that famous book "Chicken Strips for the Soul." That would have been more realistic.

I need a muumuu.

One final Valentine's thought

Frank Sinatra's My Funny Valentine always struck me as too sad to be a proper love song. I listened to it tonight, though, and I think it fits well. Love isn't always sunshine and roses. Sometimes it isn't so beautiful, and sometimes it doesn't sound quite right. But even then - or maybe especially then - true love makes each day a Valentine's Day.

Happy Valentine's Day, Mom.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

All things considered, it was a pretty good day. xoxo