Mom's wisdom

"Here's the thing about life. You've got to find those fun things to have about life. This is not necessarily fun.
But you've got to find something fun." - Mom, on June 22, 2012.

Thursday, February 23

A Difficult Day

Today we learned what caused Mom's abnormal result on yesterday's scan: Her tumor is back, and it's larger than before. It's the kind of tumor that grows like a mushroom; it comes back faster and bigger than before, and even with further surgery, it will continue to grow. What a sad day today is.

Her neurosurgeon said despite the fact that pathology is still growing the tumor in their dishes in order to determine exactly what we're dealing with, he believes this is a stage 4 glioblastoma, which is good news and bad news. Good is that these stage 4 tumors respond well to radiation therapy, the goal of which is to kill the cancer cells in a particular stage of their growth. Bad is that no matter how sophisticated our science is, the tumor will always win.

Another good thing about this, which we all need to take comfort in however we can, is that these tumors have a peaceful effect on the patient. Mom understands what is happening, and although she's not fully capable of communicating verbally, through her eyes and gestures, she does understand.

Mom has really enjoyed our reading her Facebook posts, especially the silly jokes. It's hard to be silly now, but that is one thing you can do to help her smile. And watching her smile warms all of us. So keep it up!

Special note for Hein: We told Mom how well you did on your science test. She smiled very big -- she is very proud of you. KEEP IT UP! You're a special young man, and your hard work brings happiness to Mom and fills all of us with hope and warmth. We're all proud of you. Tell all your friends that the best thing they can do is to study hard for Mrs. Worrell. She loves you all.




17 comments:

Nayzak Najm said...

This is very sad news :( I really hope Mrs. Worrell will get better soon, and I greatly believe that she will work hard and stay strong! always remember Mrs. Worrell: start now, stay focused, finish strong!

Anonymous said...

Alicia, I have typed and re-typed this sentence over and over again, but there are no words (that I can find) that might bring you any comfort. I know how much you love your mom and how difficult this day must be for you all.

I've sent my prayers to God that he bring your mom strength and healing to win this battle and for you and your family to have patience, courage, faith and love as you walk this road alongside her.

Please, please, please let me know if there's anything I can do for you...even if it's just a shoulder to cry on.

I love you!
Mary

ps. I've always hated tuna! Now I know why...

Doug said...

Marlene and I talked to Charles a short time ago and he informed us of the news. We are so sorry. Our thoughts are with all of you.

Xavier Baker said...

Mrs.Worrell I miss you and hope that you will come back to school soon and recover. I have been keeping you in my prayers all the time and want to see your smiling face soon.

Pam said...

I only know that with God all things are possible. Judy you are loved by all of us. I am praying for you and your family. Keep up the hard work. Sara, Alicia, Jennifer, and Ken, I am praying for you as well. If you see a yellow butterfly that is Jesus letting you know He is there. I saw two today, and I thought of you.

Love,

Pam O

Melynn Lopez said...

Mrs.Worrell,
I hope you get better soon. We miss you and your smiling face and all the funny things you would tell us! You are an AMAZING teacher and you are super sweet and you always are very loving and supporting of us! You are in my prayers!!!

Miss you and hope to see you soon,
Melynn Lopez

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Worrell,
When I saw this post I immediately started crying.. You are too awesome to have to be going through something like this..

Tonight will be a sleepless night...

Katie:(.. Your ray of sunshine has been dampened

ConnIe Sanchez said...

Judy,
May the peace and comfort and strength that come from God be with you and your family. I pray for all of you everyday.
Much love, Connie Sanchez

Fadi said...

I am so sad. There is nothing I could say, so I decided to borrow from the Lebanese-American Khalil Gibran:

"If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life. For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one."

Judy has opened her heart unto the body of life, and of love, and has opened the hearts of so many who have never even met her. I hope she continues to absorb life and that she keeps to inspire so many of us who are followign her condition and wishing her well.

Alicia said...

Dear Katie, Melynn, Xavier, and Nayzak,

Please know that mom loves you so much. She thinks so highly of you and your classmates. We are reading her your messages and they make her smile!

Besides praying, which we all so appreciate, I ask you to please focus on your work, and learn all you can. Be great students and great people, I can tell you already are just by your writing. You are so lucky to have a teacher like my mom who cares so much about you, teachers like her are rare and treasured.

Please know that she loves each and every one of you very much. She is so proud to be your teacher!

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Judy, Ken and the entire Worrell Family,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
George and Jan Monroe (522TFS)

Anonymous said...

Judy, Alicia, Jennifer, Sara and Ken, there are no words for how heavy our hearts have been since we first learned what had taken place. We immediately turned this over to God and know that he is in control. We were enlightened to hear of some of your progress and then to learn of the return yesterday was saddening. I can't imagine what you all are going through but then again, I somehow can relate to the hospital days with my Dad. We feel so helpless here and as important as prayer is it doesn't seem like enough. Please know you all are in our prayers. Judy, you are a fighter....you are a WHITLEY so we know you are determined, strong willed and yes a little STUBBORN!!! So we know you will fight hard and long. And yes I can relate - I seem to have some of those same traits. We love you all and will be praying for healing. Love and care sent your way. Calvin, Yvonne & Lydia

Nicole Pope said...

I really don't know what to say. This is a hard road for you and it isn't something any of us are familiar with. I wish I could take your place because you are soooo important to soooo many! We love you!!!!!! :)
Nicole Pope

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support, everyone. It means so much to us.

Jennifer said...

Thank you, everyone. Really hard day, but I am confident that Mom will fight this thing with everything she has!

Anonymous said...

The Vecchio family continues to pray for you daily. May God grant you and your family peace and comfort. May he also grant you healing.

Mrs. Worrell, you would be so proud of Nathanial. He has been working very hard to improve his grade. We will email you when the final grade is in.

Take care and get better soon.

Hugs from the Vecchios!

Kimberly Herrera said...

Mrs. Worrell,
We all really miss you. I don't even know how something like this could happen to such a wonderful person like you.You are someone that can put a smile on anyone's face no matter what. Even if you don't come back to us all I really hope for is your health and well being.
We ALL love you!