Mom's wisdom

"Here's the thing about life. You've got to find those fun things to have about life. This is not necessarily fun.
But you've got to find something fun." - Mom, on June 22, 2012.

Thursday, March 29

So many things to be thankful for

Today was a good day for Mom, and as much as I'd like to write about the myriad activities that went on (and the good sleep that I hope she's getting), I'm beat. So before I fall asleep on the keyboard and end up posting a jumbled mess, I'd like to share a few things that seem to help anchor me in a positive frame of mind (hey, hey, hey -- mixed metaphor, and I didn't even try!).

Today, I'm thankful for:

  1. My mother, and the fact that I can tell her anything. 
  2. My father, his strength and resolve, his incredible love for mom and all his daughters and granddaughters and grandson, his sons-in-law and my significant other. Also, his tolerance for my cat, Zoe, who's been leaving downy tufts of Maine Coon fur all over the house (and she barely leaves the room she's staying in -- her fur is magical, I tell you). She's shedding her winter coat.
  3. Physical therapists who restore Mom's confidence. I can't emphasize enough how important that is, and how much it means to all of us.
  4. Mom's smile and cheerful "Good morning!" when I walk in the room after not having slept well the night before. When I hear her voice, I find my energy.
  5. Our daytime CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant), Cherrina, who gave Mom a bath this evening with her favorite shower gel. It made the room smell a little more like home, which must be so comforting to someone who left for work on Feb. 10 and who hasn't yet returned home. How disconcerting that must be.
  6. People in the health-care field who treat the people under their care with dignity, tenderness, and respect. We've met some real angels in the CNA realm (also, a few who are still working on earning their wings). Having a good CNA assigned to you can make your day go by so smoothly.
  7. My older sister and my nieces, who brought us ice cream late this afternoon. We ate it before dinner. It was good. And we didn't finish dinner. Oh, well, who cares? Mom was happy, and that makes us all happy. Enough said.
  8. Actually, not enough said: The ice cream was a special treat indeed for Mom. She loved it.
  9. My younger sister, who called Mom using FaceTime this evening. So many smiles!
  10. Cards! Mom really enjoys getting cards from her friends and family. It seems like an average of 2 cards arrive each day, and we read them to her during her breaks from speech, physical, and occupational therapy.
  11. Our incredible extended family in North Carolina. They don't make families better, stronger, and closer than us. I just wish we weren't so far away.
  12. Mom's occupational therapist, Mike, who outfitted her wheelchair with a special foam wedge that keeps Mom's right shoulder propped up. Should've had that a month ago!
  13. The time I'm able to spend with Mom. It's not enough -- it will never be enough -- but, boy, am I grateful for having this time right now.
  14. Peter. He's my rock. He makes everything better just by being there (even when "there" is 1,700 miles west of where I am right now).
  15. Zoe the cat, who keeps me company at night, when the darkness threatens to swallow me whole.
  16. The duck couple that built a nest (complete with four or five eggs!) in Mom's flower garden. The 200 billion Texas bluebonnets sprucing up the roads right now. The riot of colors in Mom's rose garden. Shiny, happy daffodils. Friends and family. Spring.
Bluebonnets in front of Marshall Grain Co.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, I KNEW those ducks were up to something. They picked a nice neighborhood to start their family. :) I can't wait until we have little ducklings swimming in the pool.

Nayzak Najm said...

Mrs. Worrell's cheerful greetings and smiles are always there to keep us on the roll! I'm so happy she is doing so well!
WOW MRS. WORRELL, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE BABY DUCKIES IN YOUR BACKYARD! Right? :)

Can't wait to hear more about Mrs. Worrell. Until then, get well soon, and keep up your magic, Mrs. Worrell!

Jennifer said...

We do need to set up a duckling cam!

Anonymous said...

I have worked with your Dad for many years in dealing with issues related to the "black box" recorder on F-16s. We affectionately call him Mr. Wizard as he seems to know everything about everything related to crash recorders. Several years ago I had a cookout at my house and got the opportunity to meet Judy. Her and my wife (Lori) had a lot in common as Lori was a teacher for many years like your mom. As sad as the occasion warrants - I have immensely enjoyed reading your blog about your Mom’s progress. Many, many times it has brought tears to my eyes. I sense such a close knit family and a strong love for each other that it makes me even prouder to know your Dad as the head of this household. Keep up the effort of keeping others informed through this blog. We pray daily for the Worrell family and wish you all the best. From Lockheed Martin – Byron Huffman.

Jennifer said...

Byron, thank you. Thank you so much.