Mom's wisdom

"Here's the thing about life. You've got to find those fun things to have about life. This is not necessarily fun.
But you've got to find something fun." - Mom, on June 22, 2012.

Tuesday, March 13

Monday's update: part 2

Courage is grace under pressure. - Ernest Hemingway

Yesterday I read a story about new research showing definitive proof that a parent's love is key to brain development in children.
After taking into account a whole range of factors that can affect hippocampal size, the researchers found that children with especially nurturing, caring mothers, based on their behavior during the laboratory stressor, had significantly larger hippocampi (plural of hippocampus - you’ve got one on each side of the brain) than kids with mothers who were average or poor nurturers.
If I had paid attention in my high school biology class, I would have learned that the hippocampus is responsible for a person's ability to handle stressors and to store personal memories. Small hippocampi makes one less likely to show grace under pressure, and sadly, that pressure can even shrink one's hippocampi.
In addition to protecting us against brain illnesses, we all need big hippocampi because this brain area, while not much bigger than your little finger, plays a disproportionately large role in how you will be able to handle the stresses and strains of your life, and how you will remember your life when it’s all said and done. This is so because the hippocampus is crucial for our ability to form and store personal memories. It is also of central importance for restraining the body’s stress and inflammatory responses, both of which can induce significant damage to bodily organs and the brain if not properly reined in.
Children who grow up to have small, underperforming hippocampi are less able to handle stress; that stress in turn shrinks their hippocampi - leaving them even more at risk for illnesses and depression.

Parents only have their children in their immediate care for around 18 years, but their love sets them up for success for a lifetime.

Two sets of loving parents, Ken and Judy
and Sara and Charles (with son, Macklin). Christmas 2011.
Luck and love

These days we spend a lot of time thinking about how lucky we are to have been raised by such good parents. You couldn't ask for a more loving mom or dad. Mom's new adventure with brain cancer is about the biggest stressor we can imagine, and it's one that we never anticipated. We can handle it, though, and carry Mom through the rough times thanks to our loving family, supportive friends, and our big, healthy hippocampi.

Coda to the radiation story

Edwards Cancer Center is the hospital facility that provides the radiation therapy, and we had a good experience with them until now. The staff have been kind, and the lobby is light-filled, cozy and offers a family lounge with puzzles. Patients and families work on a puzzle while waiting, but appointments last just 15-20 minutes, so we only get a few pieces placed at one sitting. When we return the next day, the puzzle has more pieces complete than when we left it, and the picture slowly comes into focus through the collaborative efforts of strangers. It's both a solitary and communal activity to pass the time.

Usually we look forward to radiation, but the last several days have just been one aggravation after another. Mom's appointment was canceled last Friday so they could perform a software upgrade. Apparently software upgrading is an activity they are unable or unwilling to do on a weekend when they are usually closed, so patients needing this critical therapy were told to simply wait.

And wait we did, more or less patiently, until Monday. As Mom's appointment time approached, she was told that there would be a slight delay - the radiation machine had "gone down." (Did they try rebooting it? Sorry, that's an old IT joke...) The nurse told us Mom would be wheeled to radiation later in the afternoon.

So the time passed. And passed. And then it was dinnertime, which came and went without any word from the folks at Edwards Cancer Center. Our patient nurses were losing their patience, and calls to the Center went unanswered.

At 6:15 pm, we realized that waiting patiently was perhaps the polite thing to do, but it was achieving exactly nothing. I suggested calling Mom's oncologist, and Dad agreed but suggested that we (Jennifer and I) go down to the Center and see how much longer we would have to wait for radiation.

When Jennifer and I arrived, the Center was open and brightly lit - but there was no one to be seen. The front desk was abandoned, with the phone unmanned and CDs of patient records sitting on the desk for anyone to take. We waited, knocked on the doors, spoke loudly, and still no one came. I called the Patient Services Representative line, which forwarded me to an answering service where I left a message for the radiation oncologist-on-call.

Where are your people, and why have they left a patient with glioblastoma multiforme waiting?

Meanwhile, Jennifer slid past the "Patients and Staff Only" sign and went in search of some answers. She found a technologist, and we asked her how much longer we would have to wait.

Oh, the machine was down for over an hour this afternoon, and we got behind. We can't catch up with everybody. We'll have to start again tomorrow.

You can imagine our response. We asked whether they prioritized the waiting patients to put the most critical ones first? (No.) Couldn't they just fit in one more patient? (No. It was past closing time already, and the front desk staff had left for the day.)

That was the moment our hippocampi kicked into overdrive. To make a long story a little shorter, let's just say that one of us cried, the other one got really mad, the radiation oncologist on call was consulted, and they decided they could, in fact, manage just one more patient.

So Mom got her radiation therapy around 6:45 pm on Monday, and we're back on track for the remaining two weeks.

And that, my friends, is the kind of perseverance taught to us by our Mom.

15 comments:

Nancy Kirkland said...

You go girls!! Let's hear it for big brains (and hearts)!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Remind me to never get on the Worrell bad side. (hehe) Y'all ROCK!!
Hugs & prayers,
Sarah K.

Mary Terry said...

So glad you guys went over there. Sounds like you handled yourselves well, taking care of business. We are all there alongside, cheering you. You rock!!!

Doug said...

All patients need good advocates and your mom couldn't have better ones!

Nayzak Najm said...

That hippocampi information is really interesting! Mrs. Siek taught us a little about the hippocampus at the beginning of the year, and I've been interested ever since.

As I was reading on, I was hoping that you guys would say that the Monday radiation would come, or else I'll be mad, too! When I got to the "it has been delayed" and the end part, I was pretty much out of my seat and almost screaming at the computer (actually to the people that couldn't take the important patients first!). That must have been an awful and frustrating day for you guys, and I hope you and Mrs. Worrell (if she was told) feel better today.

Get well soon Mrs. Worrell!

Katie Green said...

As I read the passages on the hippocampi and how stress affects it.. It gets me to wondering how mine is affected.. Alot has happened in my life and with Mrs. Worrell being in the hospital and after reading one of the saddest, most atonishing, yet happiest books on the planet called "Heaven is for real", I can't stop thinking about my sister up in heaven.. She is in a better place.. I know that but I always wonder why she had to be taken out of this world.. I may never know.. And I know this.. but it still nags on me to know.. On top of that.. My parents on in the middle of a divorce and my other sister is in a very bad state... Emotionally..

The point of this comment is to tell you my thoughts about the hippocampi stuff.. Not for you to feel bad about what has happened.. I know you guys are going through a tough time. And I can tell you that I am sorry for what you are going through but I know the only thing you really want is for her to be back to normal.. Like all I want is my sister back

brandi said...

Way to go! I'm glad that she was able to get her treatment. You girls are awesome! If I ever need an advocate, I know who to call!

Jennifer said...

Katie, I'm sorry that you, too, are going through a rough time in your life. It's certainly not fair, is it? Have you ever felt that your sister might be your guardian angel? I'd like to think she is.

It helps me to remember that the only day I need to worry about is today. I'll focus on getting through tomorrow (and the rest of the future) whenever it comes. Whenever even *that* seems overwhelming, then I focus on getting through 15 (or five!) minutes at a time. And, boy, you're right that we want everything to go back to normal -- that's the only thing I want in this entire world. :)

Jennifer said...

Nayzak, it sounds like you would've been a *great* member of our team down in the radiation center! We certainly felt like screaming, but somehow we kept our cool, and thankfully things worked out well and they decided to give her the treatment she needed. :)

Mom is feeling better today -- she gave us lots of smiles!

tweetnurse said...

Way to go girls! So glad she received her treatment. I too was about ready to lose it as I read this! Mrs. Worrell is lucky to have such great advocates on her side. As a nurse I can tell you unfortunately we need help in advocating what is best for or patients sometimes and it sounds to me like this was one of those times and you guys did great!

Sandy said...

I had a frustrating day today. But reading your blog made me wonder if I'd be the one that cried or got really mad (I decided I would the one that did both). My sincere wish for all of you is that the tears and anger let some of that horrible stress you're carrying go off to that personal hell where parents are sick.

So I cried for you, and felt better in the end. Stay strong!

Katie Green said...

I do think about that maybe she is my gaurdian angel a lot and I also think at the same maybe she is being this jokeful 2 year old by "haunting" (If you would call it) both of my houses.. We have lost a bowl of mushrooms and the bowl which has not been found and the other day I lost a cup of root beer which we also haven't found.. HA!!

I really don't have a problem worrying about my future.. I have problems in th earea of letting the past be the past and just moving on... But sometimes I need to just sit back and think about what to do next!! Like have fun with my little sister down here and play house like I promised I would every day this Spring Break :)

Anonymous said...

You go girls!!! There are times when you cannot be so nice in order to get things done. There is a nurse on the Oncology floor by the name of Tammy Quattrocci. I have heard that she is very nice and competent. Tell her hello from Frank and Joanne and Joan and Bill. You continue to be in our prayers. Sorry, we have not been up to see you all, but my cold has now gone into Bronchitis. Love to all. Frank and Joanne Sauter

Joanne & Frank said...

You go girls!!! There are times when you have to get forceful. I know a nurse by the name of Tammy Quattrocci who works in the Oncology section. Maybe she can help you out. You continue to be in our prayers. Sorry, I have not been up to see you all, but my cold has now developed into Bronchitis. Love to all. Frank and Joanne

Jennifer said...

Joanne, I know who Tammy is! She is fantastic -- she is always smiling. We hope you feel better soon!