Mom's wisdom

"Here's the thing about life. You've got to find those fun things to have about life. This is not necessarily fun.
But you've got to find something fun." - Mom, on June 22, 2012.

Sunday, July 1

The Churchkey

Fun in speech therapy on Saturday.  The therapist came to mom's room with a big container of everyday items. The objective was to name the object the therapist pulled out of the box.

(showing a standard cafeteria-style teaspoon) Mom scoops and says "Spoon.'
(showing a green thick plastic plate) Mom says 'Paper, paper. Paper plate."
(salt shaker) Mom says "I think you have another one of those in there, and those are salt and pepper shakers!"
(hammer) Mom raises her right hand, waves it back and forth, and says "I want to build something so I need a hammer!"
(sock) Mom wrinkles her nose and says "i need a sock!" (it was clean)
(pen) Mom holds her right hand in the writing position and says "Pen!"
(paperclip) Mom puts her hands together and says "I will put some papers together!" which of course means paperclip to many of us, but to mom's teacher friends, will mean "this is what Judy had 5000 of in her room when we boxed her things up..."
(manual can opener) Mom says with all the confidence in the world, "That is a churchkey!" 

To which the therapist looks at me and says, "Wow, I just love when people say that!"


I had to look that one up.


Way to go mom, sometimes you surprise all of us.  Your brain is working just fine.   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, YEA for the churchkey. You keep going girl. Hope to see you soon after the grandkids leave. Love to all, Frank and Joanne

shenkmk. said...

its wonderful to know that she is recovering so well. Please convey my best regards to your mom.

love,
Shahnaz

Unknown said...

Way to go, Judy! Keep it up. We're so happy to hear of your successes!
Jan Brooks

Nayzak Najm said...

Hi Mrs. Worrell! I just came back from vacation and have been keeping up with all these great updates, and I have to say I am SO happy to hear that you are doing so well! When I was in California, we stopped at a fair called the San Diego County Fair. They had a "medical tour" section which I HAD to go see, and I did. On a part of the show, they started talking about tumors and all the things doctors do to get rid of them. This fair was on my third day in California, and we stayed there for 10 days. Ever since that day, I have been thinking ALL about you, and I totally wished I had wi-fi! After spending a few days reading these updates, I am so refreshed and missing you!
So, my point of writing this novel is that wherever I go, there will ALWAYS be something to remind me of you, because you are one of the most amazing people in my life. I can't wait to see the day when you return to that free life where you can roam out and about with your curiousity.
Again, I'm so happy to know you are getting so much better. Thank you to ALL the writers of this blog for keeping everyone updated so well!
Love you Mrs. Worrell!
~Nayzak Najm

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Hoche said...

I love this story! Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on Judy's recovery. You are all in my prayers!
Love, Jen's friend Jen